Friday, February 11, 2022

Neighbors Tree is Blocking My View

 Question: About five years ago I contacted a neighbor whose tree was obstructing our view. Granted the tree has been slow growing, but it still blocks some of our view. Though I offered to pay for its removal, she declined my offer, and I respectfully let it go. She was elderly, and when she died I respectfully contacted her daughter and again asked that the tree be cut down. The daughter said that she would sell the house and it would be up to the new owners. Other neighbors who also have obstructed views have contacted me and asked me to please find a solution. We all know that our property values are being adversely affected by this problem. What can we do?


Answer: What kind of view is it blocking? Was the offending tree in place when you bought the property? If so, you knew it was there. You also knew that trees don’t shrink, they get bigger. But you still bought your home knowing this.
Your neighbor may feel that the value of her property would drop and her privacy would be reduced if she removed the trees, thus her reluctance to trim and chop.
At least the daughter has offered a possible resolution to the problem: Welcome the new buyers to the neighborhood and discuss the concerns you and your neighbors have about the trees ... perhaps they will be more open to your trimming & chopping suggestions. Maybe a chainsaw for a housewarming gift will provide a stronger hint!

No comments: