Monday, February 1, 2016

Why are you in My House so Long!

Question:  My home is currently listed with a Broker. The other night, we left 15 minutes before the 5 and 6 PM showing. I returned at around 7 PM and the Realtor and buyer were still parked in my driveway. As I drove by, I could see them sitting at my kitchen table. I didn’t know what to do so I sat there for another half hour before they finally left. My Broker later explained that they were probably very interested in the home, that’s why they stayed so long, and to take that as a “good thing.” I am still upset about this. Am I wrong being so upset?

Answer: First off you deserve some answers and not just that “it’s a good thing.”   Were they late for their appointment? Why did these strangers use your home as a meeting place?  Why were they there so long? There is no excuse for a seller not knowing that a Realtors appointment is running late. We all have mobile phones. There is no excuse for a showing lasting for more than an hour….even if they are interested in the home. Lastly, if they used your kitchen table as a meeting place in an occupied home, then that Realtor should be reported. That is unacceptable.

Here is our solution:  First, tell your Realtor you want the mobile number of any showing agent. That way if they are late, and they have not contacted you, you can contact them to check on their status.                                     
Second, don’t leave for the showing until they arrive at your door. No rule says you have to leave your home unless you want to. If you decide to stay home, stay out of their way and give them some privacy to openly discuss and view your home. If the weather permits, go outside to your yard. If they are late, refuse the showing if it is an inconvenience to you. An appointment means an arrangement to meet someone at an agreed upon time and place.                                                                                     
Third, if you feel the prospective buyer and Realtor have been in your home long enough, then go home! It’s your home! None of these solutions are rude. They are a response to a bad situation that they put you in! If they don’t understand, then they are probably not the buyers you would want purchasing your home. 

No comments: