Saturday, February 13, 2016

Are Surveys of a Property a Good Idea?

Question: I want to know exactly where the property line is between my house and my neighbor. My sister told me it doesn't matter because it's not much to care about and I would have to take care the grass. Do you think she's right? If she isn't then what should I do to re-measure my property?
Answer: To determine your property's exact boundaries you want to get a survey by a licensed surveyor. Knowing the precise boundaries of your property is important. First, you want to assure that you're not paying taxes on property used by a neighbor. Second, if your neighbor continuously, openly and notoriously uses your property, he may actually obtain title over a number of years. Third, when you sell, you want to assure your buyer that they are getting a given quantity of property and that the boundaries of that property are well defined.

No comments: