Thursday, May 18, 2017

Major Mistake!

Question: I'm in the process of purchasing a home offered for sale by owner. What questions should I ask the seller that will provide me with pertinent information about the property? Also, what questions should I ask that will give me information that most sellers don't want buyers to know?

Answer: This isn't going to work. There are a universe of potential questions and the odds are overwhelming that you will miss one or more -- and maybe pay thousands of dollars in excess costs as a result.

For instance, is the sale subject to a home inspection? Must the inspection be "satisfactory" to you? If the inspection is not satisfactory to you will you get your deposit back if the owner does not make repairs? Must the repairs be satisfactory to you? Can the seller limit repair obligations to a given dollar amount? Are you getting good, marketable and insurable title? How do you know?  Please, get a Realtor before you sign anything.

No comments: